Parishes of Faversham, Goodnestone, Graveney, Herne Hill, and Luddenham
In 1905, a detached field in the parish of Hernhill containing 0a.1r.35p. was sold, leaving 163a.0r.39p. remaining in the property in 1914.Adjusted Acreage
Because the early leases give only a general description of the property ("all that manor of Langdon with all the lands, tenements, rents, and profits pertaining") and because the later leases contain conflicting measurements, the following table shows the adjusted acreage used to calculate the rent per acre:
Throughout the period from 1577 to 1914 the land was used consistently for agriculture, primarily devoted to growing hops, fruit, and grain. The agricultural rents assessed per acre follow the Turner-Beckett-Afton agricultural index (TBA), but due to the predominance of higher yield arable land and the absence of lower yield marshland, the rents assessed per acre for Langdon Manor Farm are often slightly higher than TBA. A second reason for the elevation of rents above TBA is the Bridge Wardens policy of investing in their property and charging improved rents. In 1875, the Wardens built two new farm cottages in return for a rent increase of £27; alterations to the farmhouse in 1890 brought increased rent of £10; erection of a new oast house and alterations to the barn in 1894 resulted in a new lease at increased rent of £17 5s., and construction of a wagon lodge in 1913 produced additional rent of £3 17s. All of these investments served to keep the rents above the average during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.