Parish of Cooling, Kent — Marshgate Farm
This property originally comprised 216a.3r.18p. known as Marsh Gate Farm, located on the North Kent marshes in the Parish of Cooling and purchased by the Wardens and Assistants of Rochester Bridge in 1891. The sale catalogue listed 52a.2r.24p of arable land, 3a.0r.31p. of orchard, and 159a.1r.1p. of marsh, described as "productive arable and sound marsh land, Which is of excellent quality, the Arable Land being well adapted for Fruit Cultivation, and Market Garden purposes". The 1906 Survey of the Rochester Bridge estate, as plotted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map, describes the property as "Marshgate Farm, Cooling let to Mr Frederick Baker with a farmhouse and other farm buildings garden etc." and shows a total acreage of 224a.2r.33p. distributed as follows:
Further purchases of adjacent land in 1911 and 1913 resulted in an increased total acreage of 243a.2r.7p. in 1914.
Rent per acre ranged from a high of £1 11s.4d. in 1893 to a low of £1 6s.3d. in 1903, averaging £1 7s.10d. for the period between 1890 and 1914 - well above the Turner-Beckett-Afton (TBA) index for these years.