Parish of Burham, Kent — Burham Common Allotment (1828-1914)
The Rochester Bridge Trust owned two detached small holdings in the Parish of Burham. The first comprised two small pieces of marsh and a section of river wall. The 1874 survey, as plotted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map, shows a total acreage of 7a.0r.2p and describes the property as "Marsh Land and River Wall, Burham. In the occupation of the Executors of the late William Peters". Originally part of the Manor of Nashenden, this land was separated from the Nashenden lease in 1861 and sold to the Burham Brick Lime and Cement Company Limited in 1887. Because it was let separately from the Manor of Nashenden for a short time only, it is accounted for with the rest of that property.
The second holding comprised a small piece of land on Burham Common that became part of the Rochester Bridge Trust estate in 1819, when the common was enclosed and divided among the adjacent landowners. Since part of the Bridge Woods bordered the common, the Bridge Wardens were awarded this small parcel of land. The 1874 survey, as plotted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map, shows a total acreage of 0a.3r.16p. and describes the property as "Land near the Church, Burham, let to The Earl of Aylesford".
Although a lease for the allotment exists from 1819, the annual rent of 5s. first appears in the accounts in 1828. The rent remains unchanged from 1828 to 1914, yielding a constant rent of 5s.10d. per acre that falls well below the Turner-Beckett-Afton (TBA) index, no doubt because of its small size and detached location.